Tuesday night I found a bunch of turkeys and watched them from my truck at a distance. There was a big boss tom that was hanging with 9 hens, and several other toms skirting the edges of the group. One of them was a huge bird. As it got dark, the really big bird separated himself from the group, traveled over 200 yards away, and roosted alone. The boss tom went up after all the hens went up. I marked the spot as best I could.

After roosting the turkeys Tuesday night, I spent some time trying to formulate a plan. My idea was that I needed to be between the big solitary tom, and the main group of 9 hens and their boss tom. I figured the solitary tom would come down in the morning and try to hook back up with the group after the fly down and the ensuing posturing.

As I was walking in Wednesday morning around 5:30, I could hear the big solitary tom talking a little from his roost. I worked my way far out into the wheat field in the pitch black and looped around near to where I had marked the others. But as light started to come up, I realized I had gone a little too far and placed myself right under the main group. The morning serenade from the turkeys was very intense as I sat and stared up into the trees and watched them stretching their wings. I was getting a little sound and video on my phone when they started flying down. Unfortunately, my plan didn't work. The turkeys elected to fly across the creek from me and far out into the wheat field. I guess they must have heard me come in or seen me or something.

After the last bird flew out, I packed up and got on the move. The birds had flown quite a distance and gotten way out into the middle of a field. I could hear them, but they were actually on a high spot that allowed me to stay below their sight. I hustled up a drainage depression until their putts were audibly close. Their backs were barely visible, so I laid down in the wheat field and waited. They milled around a while, so I gave them a few soft calls which seemed to turn the hens. One by one, they crossed the top of the depression I was in. I counted all 9 of the hens that the big boss tom had been on the evening before, but the tom took forever to come. But sure enough, I heard him putting softly and I realized he was close, and was coming in behind my prone position. I had to roll around in the drainage then propped my gun across my pack. With the hens behind me, I was set. I saw his head materialize above the crest of the wheat, and when he came off the slight rise and into view, I laid him neatly onto the ground.

I sat up to go get him but saw a large group of toms that had been lagging way behind him. Their heads were up, looking for the source of the shot. So I laid back down and got some photos of them and tried to call to them, but they were having none of it. They settled down and fed their way into the creek. A deer walked along the creek line, and then I was finally able to make my way to my bird.

Jeremy's next turkey hunt

Reservations Do It Yourself Turkey Hunts
Turkey Lease
Live Field Shots
Turkey Habitat
Missouri Testimonials

Mid-America Hunting Association
Since 1965

Email or call 816 761 3636